Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

More on Taxi Driver

TAXI DRIVER: 20th Anniversary Edition

Now I don't usually agree with much of what Roger Ebert says any longer (although he still writes really good movie reviews) but there's something in this review that made me sit up and take notice.

This utter aloneness is at the center of "Taxi Driver," one of the best and most powerful of all films, and perhaps it is why so many people connect with it even though Travis Bickle would seem to be the most alienating of movie heroes. We have all felt as alone as Travis. Most of us are better at dealing with it.

Yeah, I'm better at dealing with feeling alone than Travis but I still wish I didn't feel alone. Being at home is easy. It's going out in the world that's hard.

And on that note, it's time to venture out into the world.

No comments: