Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Headless

So the other day, I was doing a little bit of rearranging in my office. It's been a long time since I reorganized the shelves upon which so many of the pop culture/horror figures I've managed to collect over the years stand and I figured why not now? I had decided that I wanted to try to group all the Alien figures in one space on a short bookshelf next to my desk. I had just enough room and they were all standing comfortably next to Doctor Octopus my mom found at a flea market and the glow-in-the-dark zombies that I got for Christmas.

Standing comfortably until the other morning when I came back in from my shower to discover one of the Aliens had taken a head-first dive to the floor and gone from this:


to this:


I have always been a little bit disappointed with this figure even though he is highly detailed and very cool looking. It was a constant battle to get him to stand up, always trying to find the magic combination of standing on one foot, patting your head and rubbing your stomach in an effort to encourage him to stay upright. Up on the high shelf, he was very precariously balanced. He actually seemed to stand up better upon relocation to a lower shelf, but I can only assume the magnified vibrations of footsteps in the floor (not to mention the trains that go through several times a day) proved to be too much.

It's probably nothing a little super glue can't fix, but it still kind of sucks. I have half a mind to super glue him to his base to prevent this from happening again. But such a quick fix didn't stop me from looking for a better, more sturdy replacement. Sadly, there is not much to be had that doesn't cost a pretty penny. (The Dog Alien is especially coveted.)

So I guess until I get my lazy butt to Hy-Vee to buy some super glue, in space, no one can hear HIM scream.

1 comment:

Smile said...

Hello! :)

A while ago in November 2009 you posted a video from Keane H&F video contest. I have some great news regarding this work and hope you'll enjoy what I have to say:

4 winners/runners-up from the Hopes & Fears video contest: Abi (winner of She Has No Time), Élise (runner-up of Strangers), Liouba (runner-up of Bend & Break), and Manida (winner of Sunshine). We are writing because we’d like to share with you a new Keane video that we created! For the past 2 months, we worked hard on collaborating on this piece, which took us on a journey that allowed us to erase boundaries between countries and unite our talents based on the friendships we formed and our love for Keane. We are very excited with the results and hope that you will enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvbQ3q8-YXA

If you feel so inclined, we’d love to hear your thoughts about the clip. And please feel free to share it with others whom you think would appreciate it.

Thank you very much for sharing your time and your love for Keane. These are exciting times in the Keane World!

Abi, Élise, Liouba, and Manida (Keanefansintl)