Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Dino blood

I don't know, but something about the news story where T. rex soft tissue was found is really appealing to the 8 year old boy in me. I mean, how cool is that? I was thinking about how breaking the leg bone in half must have really killed the diggers--but what else are you going to do? It's either break the bone so you can physically get it out of the dig site or leave it there. And then to find what they found! While I'm not naive enough to think that it's going ot lead to living and breathing T. rexes in zoos around the world, it will provide incalculable information about dinosaur physiology. Besides, if we actually had T. rexes in zoos, they'd just get loose and people would die. I've seen Jurassic Park--I know how these things go! :)

But what is disturbing is how those on the creation side of the creationism vs. evolution argument are using this to further their arguments. While I can understand why they'd argue that this deflates any claims to the earth being millions of years old, my response is that there's a lot we don't know about fossilization--how long does it actually take? And what were the conditions in which this particular set of bones fossilized?

I'm no paleontologist, but I think this creates a lot more questions than it answers.

No comments: