Pages

Friday, May 05, 2006

Mowing

Well, we're back from a whirlwind trip to Kansas City to see some friends of Heidi's and go to the last Jennifer Crusie/Bob Mayer signing at Rainy Day Books in Fairway, KS. It was the last stop on the book tour and it was fun to see Jenny and Bob at the end of the tour. Heidi gave her an altered book of Don't Look Down which Jenny just seemed to love. (You can see pictures of it by clicking here.)

So we get back this afternoon and my yard is just in a complete state of disaster. Now, don't get me wrong -- I'm not one of those guys that is completely anal about how his lawn looks, spending every spare minute weed-wacking and fertilizing and pesticide-ing and what not. Mostly, for all I care it can rot as I really despise exerting the energy it takes to keep it looking even halfway presentable. So the fact that I'm noticing how bad the yard looks is really saying something.

Fortunately, it's only like 60 something degrees out today so it's a perfect day to do it. This yard is a particularly aggravating yard to mow as the backyard defies a simple and repeatable mowing pattern. It seems like every time I mow, I have a different approach. Add into this the fact that Anna has both a swing set and a sand box in the back yard so it's like running an obstacle course as well. And don't even ask me about the front yard. Trying to grow grass out there is nigh onto impossible as it is (due to a magnificently grand old oak tree) and I could spend an eternity picking up the twigs and sticks that fall from the trees. So consequently, I can never tell where I've been or what still needs to be mowed.

As you can imagine, I only mow when I absolutely have to and fortunately today, I did it without even working up a sweat -- no small feat as usually whenever I mow I'm dripping with sweat and completely revolting to anyone with a half-way developed sense of smell. It's not often you can do it and not have to immediately head for the shower.

So that's what I did today. Not terribly exciting, but it's something.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Hey Dan, Heidi's domain doesn't seem to be working. Maybe she could post the picture of the book on the Amazon Iowan?

Dan said...

Give it a try now, it should work -- if not, let me know.

Dan