Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Four states in one day

Unfortunately, though, it was not lying in the depths of your imagination. We trekked nearly 600 miles across Nevada, Arizona, Utah and Colorado today after spending the night at the Stratosphere in Las Vegas (for 35 bucks!!) on Tuesday night, finally arriving at our destination of Glenwood Springs, CO at around 10pm tonight. Here's the route we took.

As Mary would say, I simply couldn't stop thinking about my ass for the last 100 miles of the trip. Google Maps says 8 hours and some-odd minutes, but it was closer to 10 hours after you factor in our bazillion bathroom breaks and some significant time lost in the mountains of central Utah. It was up and down the mountains in the rain - just what I was wanting to do today! Mountain driving is challenging as it is, and when you throw rain into the mix, it is even more difficult. The only way it could have been worse was if the road had been under construction as well.

I am very glad to be stationary for a couple days. The only thing on the agenda for tomorrow is a trail ride about an hour from here. We might, if we are crazy enough, try to push on to home on Friday. Google Maps says 12 hours from here to home, so we may have a date with a hotel in Grand Island, NE.

And if there is any one thing I have learned about myself on this trip, it is that I am more of a wuss than I thought. I got all the way up to the top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas and could not go through with riding the Big Shot. Propelled at 45 mph to a height of 1149 feet above the Strip? Fuck that shit. Seriously, I don't need that kind of stress in my life!

1 comment:

mary35 said...

I hope your ass is feeling better and will soon be well-rested. I don't blame you for not riding the Big Shot. You can be adventurous in other ways.