Pages

Monday, August 03, 2009

Looking better than vinyl has a right to

A lady I work with saw me when she arrived at work today and said "Oh, Dan, I have a surprise for you." Now, we say things like that at work all the time, and usually the surprise is some item of work we have to do that we don't particularly want to do. However, she really DID have a surprise for me.

I walked around the corner and SHE WAS HOLDING THE VINYL OF DOLLY'S Here You Come Again ALBUM!!

I was flabbergasted because it was pretty much the last thing in the world I expected to see today. She said "well, I knew you were a fan and thought if you want it, you can have it." My reaction was quite uncontained and I think one of the newer guys at work saw it out of the corner of his eyes and wondered what the deal was.

Here's some photographic evidence.


It is not one of Dolly's better studio albums - but it is the point where she really crossed over to pop successfully. "Here You Come Again" is one of my favorite of her songs. The other thing that's cool about this album is that on early copies, there is an alternate version of "Two Doors Down" which is more countrified than the pop version that most people know. Later pressings of the album contained the pop version. However, the version of "Two Doors Down" on the vinyl I have has virtually the same run time as the one I have in iTunes, so I imagine I was not so lucky as to have been given one of the first pressings of the album. *sigh* I don't know that I'll EVER hear that version of the song.



Moral of the story: Sometimes, it really pays off to wear your nerdiness on your shirt sleeve.

(Confidential to MK: What part of THAT album cover is not about the breasts?)

1 comment:

xolondon said...

Wow that is a pretty good gift!