Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2009

It's all about the cakes

Every now and again, nostalgia for our summer vacation creeps up on me. Is something that is only 3+ months old a candidate for nostalgia? Ordinarily, I don't think it would qualify, but for whatever reason, this does. I can't think of any other word to describe the feeling that I get sometimes when I think about it. I'm pretty sure that a significant contributing factor to this is that I just got done reading Heidi's latest novel which saw the story's two main characters recreate a good chunk of our trip west.

Tonight, I'm craving Du-Par's.


I don't know how this is even possible. I just got done with supper and would explode like Mr. Creosote if I ate anything else. In fact, that's how I felt after I got done eating the pancakes at Du-Par's. But it was one of my favorite "little moments" on our vacation. Everything from the the seedy 50s ambience of the place to Barbara our waitress who sounded like she had smoked 10 packs of Marlboros prior to coming in to work that doy - it all coalesced into one of those experiences I'll not soon forget. If I have but one regret, it's that I didn't pick up a Du-Par's coffee cup.

We couldn't even finish the pancakes - the portion size was so huge. But even knowing that, I still wouldn't order any differently because they were the frickin' best pancakes I've ever had in my life.

1 comment:

Heidi Cullinan said...

There are moments it's difficult not to pack the car then swing by Anna's school and the hospital and kidnap the two of you so we could go do it all again right now. Because if you thought reading that book gave you nostalgia, try writing it!