Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Leaders Dead and Otherwise

I'm so tired of the whole Reagan thing. So the guy is dead. So freaking what? I mean, he was president, not God. And the thing is it's probably a blessing that he died. More than likely for the last five years or so he's been pooping in diapers and not able to remember any of his family members. What kind of life is that? Not much of one in my book. And everybody's going on and on about how great he was. I mean, he was a charismatic leader and all, but is he deserving of a National Day of Mourning? My friend Brian linked to a list of things to think about when you get to thinking Reagan was the greatest man to ever walk the face of the Earth. I'm sure you can come up with similar comments for just about any President, for after all, they are only human. I think Judson Frondorf over at Ack Ack Ack puts it best--"it's about as close as you can get to necrophilia without actually f***ing the corpse." Harsh? Sure. But this is a freaking circus. Call me callous or uncaring or whatever, but I've never seen such a fit thrown over a guy that lived for 93 years.

Personally, this has been my favorite take on the whole thing. A new Republican presidential/vice-presidential ticket for 2004.

1 comment:

Brian said...

When I ran into that site yesterday, I couldn't help but think, "I wonder if Dan's seen this." My favorite bit is the interview transcript from Larry King "Live" on the Eat the Press page.