Pages

Monday, October 18, 2004

A Romantic Comedy. With Zombies.

Wendy was here for the weekend and we went to see Shaun of the Dead which so many people have told me that I need to see so I figured I really must need to see it. If people are seeking me out and specifically telling me that I'll enjoy this movie, it's definitely something that I need to go see. We went down to Jordan Creek Town Center in West Des Moines as it wasn't playing anywhere in Ames and even though JCTC is repulsive in its "buy something, you'll feel better" atmosphere, the theaters are pretty cool. As Wendy said, Jordan Creek makes Coral Ridge Mall look positively quaint.

But anyway, the movie. It was fantastic. It had slow zombies (as opposed to the fast ones from 28 Days Later and the Dawn of the Dead remake.) I think I can say without any hesitation that I truly do prefer the slow zombies. The fast ones were scary and all, but zombies are so much about the power of the mob. These zombies were George Romero slow, but they were no less deadly than the fast ones. And with all these zombies lumbering about, there is just this undeniable sense of dread that seems to be pushed to the back burner in the fast zombies movies. That's not to say that the 28DL and DOTD (2004) aren't scary films. In fact, I applaud these movies for resisting the overwhelming urge to play for laughs as well as scares. (see the rapid deterioration of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.)

But Shaun of the Dead was one of those rare films where the laughs and the scares really played well off of each other. It's got to be the only movie where a zombie gets beat up to Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" or where zombies are being attacked with record albums (the Batman soundtrack, most notably.) And then there's the love story as well, which was fun.

Definitely a buyer when it comes out on DVD. In the meantime, I'll just have to settle for the DVD release of DOTD (2004) which comes out on October 26th.

No comments: