Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2005

File under: Most unlikely break in a cold case

Where's Judge Crater? Letter offers clue.

I was surprised to stumble across this information on the web yesterday--and I can't even remember how I did it, probably via Drudge Report or something (I know, I know, my liberal sensibilities shouldn't be able to handle it!)

When I was a kid, this was one of those cases that totally fascinated me. I was obsessed with missing persons, unsolved crimes, etc.--probably still am, otherwise why would I be blogging about this? I remember reading this book in the Fairview Elementary library -- Missing: Stories of Strange Disappearances -- that had a chapter on Judge Crater. I must have checked that book out a hundred times--that and The Haunting of America.

Personally, I'm not sure why there was ever much doubt about what happened to Crater--it seems like a fairly straight-forward organized crime hit to me. Much like Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance, it's like "Duh! The Mob got him of course!" (although there will always be other theories.)

So maybe this missing person case from my childhood (and oddly enough, way before I was even born) will finally be solved. I'll sleep a lot easier at night. ;)

No comments: