Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Bathroom humor

So last night, I was reading to Anna right before bed - it was the Disney adaptation of Sleeping Beauty. They are a little longer than her normal bedtime fare, but still short enough to read in about 15 minutes or so. As has been our tradition for quite some time, we take turns reading. She reads one page, I read one page, etc.

Well, I had no intention of it, but I struck pure comedy gold last night. At least in the eyes of my 7-year-old.

Of all of Disney's villains, Maleficent is hands down my favorite. No one else even comes close. I think it has something to do with the fact that she is practically a drag queen, but I digress. Anyway, we were reading the book and I was doing Maleficent's voice (not a good imitation, but it makes Anna laugh) and then I pondered out loud:

"I wonder how Maleficent goes to the bathroom in that outfit."

Well, that opened the floodgates of laughter in Anna. She literally couldn't contain herself. And because her laughter is so contagious, neither could I. Yes, I was laughing at my own joke, but mostly I was laughing at her laughing at my joke.

But seriously, I get this image in my head of Maleficent hiking up that huge flowing robe and I'm just dumbfounded. What if she was at a port-a-potty? Would she even fit in there with that thing?

Anyway, that probably speaks to where my sense of humor stopped developing. But I have now assured that Anna will always think of that when she sees Maleficent.

No comments: