Pages

Monday, August 07, 2006

Computer woes

I spent the vast majority of yesterday dinking around with my computer. It has, for some inexplicable reason, died. It all started on Friday, when I came home from work and was going to play Zoo Tycoon with Anna for a little bit. Every time I double clicked on the icon, it kept prompting me to put the Zoo Tycoon CD in. Well, hell, you stupid little fucker, it IS in there. So I decided to boot off the CD, which is when I discovered the problem.

Neither one of my DVD/CD ROM drives were being recognized by the system. Well hell.

Later the next day, I pulled the computer apart and switched the IDE connections around. When I did that, it recognized the DVD/CD ROM drives, but not the hard drives. Oh shit. It was starting to sound like a motherboard issue and not something simple like a IDE cable issue. What makes this even more annoying is that I just put a new motherboard in the computer in JANUARY of this year. And that was only a year after I got a completely new system.

So, needless to say, I'm pissed about it. Currently, I've got Heidi's laptop that I'm working on which gets me by but there's so much about MY computer that I miss. And I'm so pissed off that I'm ready to switch teams entirely and go to Mac. Especially after having watched Heidi with her new iMac over the last week. I know that there are things that you give up when you switch to a Mac, but frankly, a part of me would be so damn glad to not have to pull my computer apart every 6 months looking for what's wrong with it. Not that Macs don't die either, but at least it would be someone else's problem.

Right now, I'm just trying to decide what I want. I'm leaning toward Mac as we'd still have a PC upstairs that Anna uses so we could dedicate that to be the computer that we play games at and what not. It's frustrating. I don't have the money right now for a new computer (especially after Heidi just replaced hers) but who knows what I'll do.

This is one hell of a way to start my week.

No comments: