Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Jamie Cullum

I'm listening to this new CD by Jamie Cullum (via Rhapsody) tonight as I heard that he was this up and coming jazz artist from the U.K. and plus when we were going to Iowa City tonight, we heard a blurb on NPR about him and the CD called Twentysomething. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it. It seems like it's a little overdone, which is really too bad for a debut album. I know that it was a huge hit in the U.K., but I just don't see it doing much here. It's jazz vocal in only the most abstract way. In fact, it's annoying me so much I think I'm going to have to turn it off. That's too dang bad, really becaus I had heard a lot of good things about it. Guess my jazz vocal heart really does belong to Diana Krall. And the more I listen to her new CD, the more I like it.

The awards banquet that I went to tonight in IC was fun although I think Anna had the longest attention span of any of us, and given the fact that she's two years old, that's really saying something. It was good to see John again and it wasn't at all like visiting with an old boss but instead it was like seeing an old friend. Come to find out as well that my stupid Yahoo! e-mail address doesn't seem to be working. Dawn's been trying to e-mail me and John can't get anything to go through unless he replies to something I've already sent. Stupid Yahoo.

I also talked with Kevin tonight on my cell phone. After finding out that my e-mail was so screwed up, I wanted to get back in touch with him in case he thought I'd fallen off the planet. It was fun to chat again--but then again it usually is.

No comments: