Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Preceptors of the Year

John and I are the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy's Preceptors of the Year. It's something that we joked about ever since we started taking students--but now we actually are. I guess having a kick-ass rotation site actually paid off. So I'm going down to Iowa City tonight after work to go to a banquent at the Holiday Inn to be recognized. That should be fun although with the price of gas I'm not sure that it'll be cost effective. It'll be fun to see John again--at least I hope I he's coming. He didn't really say in his e-mail, but I presume that he'll be there. It'll be a little bit awkward if it's just me and a whole bunch of people that I don't know.

I'm reading The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen right now. It's interesting and Irving-esque in a lot of ways, especially in the fact that he has about 10 million things going on at once and has sexually dysfunctional characters. It's kind of off to a slow start though. It's infinitely better than Cold Mountain was, although I suspect that my disinterest in Cold Mountain might have more to do with my mood rather than it's failings as a book. I'm falling for the whole Borders advertising campaign and their "summer reading list" and it's making me want to go read all the titles on their list. (Sadly, I can't find a trace of it online and when I Google "summer reading list" I get stuff for high schools which I suppose wouldn't be all bad, but just not what I'm after at this point.) So I'm going to try to set time aside each day for reading and see how many books I can read this summer.

And thankfully, our DSL seems to be working this morning after working sporadically last night. You never realize how much you depend on that until you don't have it.

I'm eager for tomorrow and being off work even though it means working the weekend. It'll be okay. I'm really doing well at my job even though there are things that show up daily that I have no idea how to deal with them. Fortunately (or unfortunately--I'm not sure which) it seems like most of the other pharmacists have those days too. So we keep on muddling through. And today's a 7-3:30 shift anyway so the day will zip by. We hope. *crosses fingers*

No comments: