Pages

Friday, October 27, 2006

Idiocy

I'm not normally political on the blog, so please, indulge me if you will.

This is kind of the brother post, or perhaps, husband post, to Heidi's post about the idiocy on the front page of the Ames paper tonight. I was at work this morning, and the radio was on and it was talking about our stupid illustrious president's stop in Des Moines yesterday. And he was all up in arms about gay marriage. It's a hot button issue for conservatives. He was talking about the ruling in New Jersey that allowed the state legislature to decide whether or not gays should be allowed to get married. Using his usual scare tactics, he talked about how "activist courts" were trying to "redefine marriage" and threaten the sanctity of that great institution.

Jesus Christ! If one person could give me an example of how gays could threaten the sanctity of marriage more than the 50%+ divorce rate amongst heterosexuals, I'd love to hear it. How is allowing two people that love and care for each other the ability to enter into a legally binding relationship going to undermine families? Is it because these idiotic conservatives can't stand the thought of love taking more than one form? I wish we weren't so damn puritanical in our thinking.

I'm so irritated with the direction of our country. Camille Paglia is much more forgiving of George Bush than I ever could be. She says he was railroaded into the presidency because he was his father's son, but we're the idiots that elected the idiot. Twice even. OK, once. Or maybe not at all if you believe the conspiracy theories about voter fraud in the 2004 election.

I'm just going on now for no good reason and probably irritating any of my conservative friends (yes, I do have a few.) So to spite Bush and his homophobia, I'll be listening to Judy and Barbra and Madge and all that good pop music that makes this world a shiny happy place!!

And since we're having a mini-Take That party on last.fm, I'm going to play Robbie Williams' "Your Gay Friend."

End of political rant.

1 comment:

Cherry Red said...

Amen Dan. I'm with you 100%. I have no clue how allowing two men or women to marry would affect my marriage in any way, shape or form.

My argument has always been that all I ever hear from homophobes is that "gay (particularly) males are promiscuous." That's what is supposed to be the "worst thing" about gays. "That's why there is AIDS."

Well, why do they have a problem with gays when they want to marry? To make a commitment to each other? You can't have it both ways. I wish people would wake up and mind their own business. Who made them God?

Keep fighting the good fight, Dan.


Kim, a Progressive in one of the reddest counties in the US