Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Holy shit

I was poking around the Mary Chapin Carpenter web site this morning because I really haven't looked at it in quite a while, and I was reading an essay she wrote about touring - with an emphasis on touring in the summer. While I was reading this, I found out that last April, after finishing up an acoustic tour in support of The Calling, she ended up in the ER and was diagnosed with pulmonary embolism.

I remember learning about deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism when I was in school. The fact that sticks out for me is that whether you lived or died after getting a PE was as simple as the flip of a coin.

This disturbed me greatly. Fortunately, she is fine and will live to record again, but the mere thought that her music and songwriting could have been silenced so early and with such speed was, to say the least, upsetting.

It does not help that I am stuck in a huge MCC listening rut for reasons I can't quite work out. I get into her music every time the world quiets down and I get more internal. As I've said before, listening to her music is like talking with an old friend - for me anyway.

Glad you made it, Chapin. So on with the song.

No comments: