Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

A freezer to remember

So my folks bought us this chest freezer. (No, I'm not freezing anyone's chest so don't go there.) It's kind of something they've been talking about doing for a long time, but my father is nothing if not a great bargain hunter so he waited for just the right deal to come along. Also, the fact that they were having getting half a cow (he and his brother bought a whole cow from a locker) and they were giving half of that half to us probably lit a fire under him to get us some proper storage for the meat. My dad called me several times to give me updates for apparently the price on the freezer was changing daily and he had to make sure he acted at the most opportune time, which led me to believe he was buying the freezer out of the back of the truck somewhere.

Anyway, it was delivered on Tuesday and this is where we put it. In the basement. Next to Madonna.

(I put the bucket of paint on the dehumidifier for dramatic effect.)

Anyway, the guys that delivered it were sports because there's still snow on the back steps and they managed it without too much difficulty. One of the guys took one look at that poster and said "Damn, is that Madonna? She's hot." The other delivery guy agreed and they asked when that photo was taken. It was 1995 and they said "Damn, I was 12."

And I thought "Damn, I'm old."

It's still one of my favorite photo shoots, even though the nose ring is a bit distracting.


The freezer is full of beef now. Which I guess means it got the cold beef injection as opposed to the one they talked about in The Breakfast Club.

7 comments:

Yuяi said...

I love that "Damn, she's hot" comment. You know I never did notice that nosering. But then again, I didn't have the larger than life poster either. :)

Dan said...

Re: the comment. At first, I thought perhaps I was being subtly mocked (which wouldn't surprise me) but I think it was genuine!

Arvind said...

is it a good idea to keep the freezer next to something so hot? Ah.. I was almost 12 too in 1995 :)

xolondon said...

I never noticed the ring either. Maybe it airbrushed out of some shots. That was in her era when she looked like a relatively normal person! She has seriously lost her mind now, dragging this Jesus child around with her.

Be sure to put a lot of ice cream and popsicles in that chest. And M&M ice cream cookie sandwiches. I like those and you need to be ready if I should drop in (they are on my rider, you know).

Dan said...

I couldn't agree more. She is giving Lola so much fodder for a tell all book. I maintain that this public meltdown has to be hardest on Lola who is now 12(ish). As if being a teenager isn't hard enough!

Anonymous said...

I was 7 in 1995. Yeah.

D'luv said...

The irony being that Madonna's due to be stuffed in the meat freezer. Ba da boom tch!

I bought Something To Remember as soon as it came out, to have "I'll Remember" and "This Used To Be My Playground" on CD (I only had the cassette singles).