Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sledding

It's one of those nights where I am exhausted but can't turn my brain off long enough to lose consciousness. So rather than fight it, I got up and read The Perks of Being A Wallflower while listening to October Project. It was a perfect combination, for some odd reason. I am enjoying this book immensely. It is very Catcher In The Rye-ish, which I read relatively late in life (I think I was 20) and while the similarity between the two would be annoying to most it is endearing to me.

This passage caught my attention tonight at 1:52AM, such that I put off bed for a few more minutes to come here and blog it.
I walked over to the hill where we used to go and sled. There were a lot of little kids there. I watched them flying. Doing jumps and having races. And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all of those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn't.
Indeed.

For whatever reason, that hit home. I have no idea what the fact that it hit home means. But there it is.

3 comments:

D'luv said...

Glad you're enjoying the book, Dan! I think he just means that it'd be great if we could always just stay innocent and never have to face life's responsibilities or dissappointments.

The whole theme of that book is kind of like him losing his innocence pretty late in life (at age 15), and not understanding why he doesn't relate to his peers.

Dan said...

I should have been more clear (that'll teach me to blog at 2AM) - I have no idea why it hit home, but it did!

The book is great. I want to try to finish it today.

D'luv said...

Oh. Oops...