Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Best reading spot in town

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am powering through books this year so far. I finished my fourth one of the year today and am nearly finished with my fifth. This morning, I got an e-mail from the library that told me a book I had put on hold was in. So may books, so little time.

Actually, the funny thing is that I have had LOTS of time for books recently. A year ago I made a conscious effort to step away from the computer and read more. I had limited success with that as I was scrambling to get 25 books read during 2010. Well, this year, I'm doing much better. Plus being away from the internet helps to center my life a little bit more. It's so easy for me to get lost in clicks - when I am randomly clicking on bookmarks I was just at 2 minutes ago is a sure sign I need to be done.

It helps that I've started off with some great books - which brings me to the real point of this post. If you're reading and you're not on GoodReads, you're missing the party. GoodReads is kind of like Visual Bookshelf or whatever the hell on Facebook. Hell, it's kind of like Facebook, only for books. What I love about GoodReads is that it helps me to keep track of what I've read and, more importantly, what I want to read. It's easy for me to say, "oh, yeah, I want to read that!" and then two weeks later have no recollections whatsoever of that thought. By adding books to the "to-read" shelf on GoodReads, I'm never without an idea for something to read.

If you feel so inclined, sign up for GoodReads. It's free. And then friend me on there. They do send you a spammish e-mail every now and again with "updates on your friends" but they're easy enough to ignore or not. I can think of at least a couple people who read this space that might like it. Or not. You never know.

No comments: