Pages

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Staycation is over

As of tomorrow at 9AM, the real world will start hassling me again. It's probably more than time. It's been fun being off work for 13 days, but I am ready to get back in the swing of things. I think Heidi's ready for me to be back to work as well. I know she loves us dearly, but there is something to be said about having the house all to yourself.

There's a snowstorm that's creeping its way across Iowa right now. It's kind of stalled out over western Iowa so my folks are probably getting covered in the white stuff. It hasn't showed up here yet but they're predicting anywhere between 5 and 9 inches by the time it's all said and done. I took Tuesday off (nothing like wading back into the real world) to go to Lobby Day down at the State Capitol but judging from the forecast, it looks like it's a toss up as to whether we'll go or stay home.

We also got the tree down today and all the Christmas stuff is awaiting its annual trip back down to the basement. It actually wasn't a terrible job - we all worked together and it went pretty smoothly. I'm not sure when it'll actually get to the basement, but I'm sure it will eventually.

Overall, this has been one of the more relaxing staycations I've had in a while. And it wasn't because I was completely lazy and did nothing. As I said, I got a lot of continuing ed done (final tally = 22 hours) and did some stuff around the house. We decluttered a significant section of our basement (miles to go.) I watched a shitload of Netflix which included all four Eddie Izzard shows that are on Netflix streaming. I swear, those get better with each viewing. We've seen them so many times that it's the anticipation of the joke that is funny rather than the joke itself.

But all good things must come to an end and all in all I'm just glad I have a job to go back to. So many people in this economy don't and, well, I will be thankful that I'm not one of them. Time off wouldn't be time off it you didn't go back at some point. As Mary Chapin Carpenter said (more accurately, Mark Knopfler, but whatever) - you gotta know happy, you gotta know glad/because you're gonna know lonely and you're gonna know sad. And vacation without a job to go back to is unemployment and let me just say that I'm not super interested in that right now.

But for now, I'll leave you with these sage words of advice -- never put a sock in a toaster, never put jam on a magnet, never throw your granny in a bag, never suck all the juice out of a vampire and never lean over on Tuesday (unless you're covered in bees.) Just watch this:

No comments: