Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday is Monday

It's Friday morning, but as I mentioned last night, it feels more like a Monday.

I was reading Michael Lutin today, and if you lend any credence to any kind of astrological stuff, today could seriously be a humdinger. Here, read for yourself (courtesy of michaellutin.com and the only reason I'm not linking to it is because it will disappear before too long.)

tick freakin' tock tick freakin' tock tick freakin' tock
You may have n
oticed a change in tone and mood
it's getting serious now
no joke
there's a sense of urgency
to gather your nuts and store them in your nest
even if you can't move as fast as you'd like,
as if, no matter what hemisphere you live in,
it is becoming winter
no more jerking around
if you're ever going to do anything
it's got to be now
now that both Venus and Jupiter have moved into Capricorn
no more superficial nonsense
A celestial event far more rare than Halley's Comet, occurs
today
Friday, January 25th at 10:44PM EST
(saturday in Asia, Africa and Europe)
oh, it's just a little thing
Pluto, recently downgraded by astronomers from planetary status
moves into the zodiacal sign of Capricorn.
“This transit has not occurred since the time of Paul Revere.
Over the next 15 years all relationships, business and personal, for everybody will be transformed.”
Even though you can't see it with the naked eye, Pluto is sending you on a new course.
Whatever you've been doing up until now, it's over. So fasten your seat belt The ride is about to start.”
tonight
22.44 est
it may seem like a tiny change
but the events of this week are life-altering
in business and personal life


Whoa. That's all I can say. (plus, wouldn't "Hung Up" just that much better if she sang "tick freakin' tick tock it's a quarter to freakin' two"?) Y'know, I'm really torn on the whole astrology thing. It's yet another of those things that I so desperately want to believe, but the scientist and skeptic in me is having a hard time getting my head around it. I think there is so much more to it than the stupid horoscopes that you read in the newspaper that are so generic they could apply to anyone reading them. "Real astrology" is more concerned with seeing you live out your full potential. I have to say that it's all Heidi's fault that I'm even interested in it at all, that I'm giving more and more thought to spending 30 bucks to have a full chart done. Because seriously, if there's anything to it, anything at all, wouldn't it be good to know?

I think the thing that makes it hard, especially for me, is that there is no way to objectively measure anything involved with astrology. At risk of sounding all 70s and "what's your sign?" I am very interested in learning more about not only my sign (Gemini -which fits me to a bloody tee) but also my rising sign and my moon sign and what they mean. Get much past that and my eyes start to glaze over and I'm lost. Which is why I think that either having someone who does that kind of thing for a living would be a smart thing for me to do, so that it can be put into terms that I can understand.

It's really too bad that all that kind of stuff is written off as psychic mumbo-jumbo, even by me at times. I am just way too much of a science head in that "if we can't measure it, we can't prove it" is very much my mantra. But the Fox Mulder portion of me (which, despite what I say, is significant) is just dying for all that stuff to be true, to have something to believe in that is beyond the realm of science. It would be nice if all this stuff could be integrated. Heidi and I were just talking about this before bed last night, how nice would it be if your physical, mental, and emotional health were all under an umbrella of medicine, therapy, and metaphysical things like energy therapy and astrology and what not. As Heidi was saying, perhaps that's what the Age of Aquarius really is all about.

I know, I sound like I'm off my rocker, especially for someone like me whose brain is too analytical for its own good. But there are so many things in this world we can't explain through rational scientific method, that it's hard for me to write off.

All I can say is that I'm really glad I'll be at home at 22:44 EST tonight.

2 comments:

V said...

There was a time that I too belived in all this Pseudoscience. But I gradually moved away from it and started to look at the cold hard facts. It's an amazing universe and once you get down to Quantum Physics, things get really strange, which has opened up a whole new door to these "mystics" yet bringing on more pseudoscience mumbo jumbo. The fact is, Jupiter's gravitational pull has no effect on you. And therefore, really cannot predict your future. (sorry). But we can get a little mystical and factual at the same time by saying that we are all connected because we all came from the same exploding super nova that made the Sun and everything around it, including us. Startstuff and all. I mean that's amazing and that's all the "magic" I need.

Dan said...

V - thanks for the good comment! Actually, I could substitute the word "religion" for "pseudoscience" in the first part of your post and that would speak volumes to how I feel about religion these days. But nature abhors a vacuum and I don't think you can go long without some kind of spirituality, be it found in the halls of a church or in Tarot or astrology.

Mostly, I don't think that astrology predicts the future, the post from Lutin notwithstanding. But rather, I think it can, if we allow it, teach us about ourselves and the path that we are on.