Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Can't talk must read

It's taken longer than I thought, but I am in the can't-put-it-down phase with The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. This is such a relief. There was a spot about third of the way through the book at which point I wondered if I would finish it.

It had such a strong start and then it just kind of got lost. Or so it seemed. Now I am up later than I really should be on the night before a day that I have to get up earlier than I would like and I can't put the damn thing down. It is reminding me of John Irving at his best - and that is quite a compliment even though I have been unable to reread Irving since college (A Prayer For Owen Meany may soon be the first reread of his I have ever done) I will finish it before the end of the week without a doubt.

Confidential to the person who was the recipient of Kavalier & Clay for Christmas: don't give up on it midway through. Persevere. It is totally worth it.

3 comments:

D'luv said...

Wait till you read The Mysteries of Pittsburgh. There's a part where the main character, who is straight, has sex with his gay friend, and they use corn oil for "slippery stuff."

I'm staring at my (unopened) copy of ...Kavalier & Clay on my bookshelf, which has been collecting dust since 2000.

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading Revolutionary Road, and I'm going to the movie tonight! I really liked it.

Dan said...

I wasn't sure I wanted to read another book concerning dysfunctional relationships, but I started Revolutionary Road today and it is quite good! I hope the movie is good - the trailers really got me.

Of course, now Heidi is telling me that I MUST read Band Fags! so who knows what I'll do.