Pages

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

I know I haven't updated the blog in forever, but I've been busy!! I'm moving!! We're finally escaping the clutches of Washington and getting ourselves to the (relatively) bigger city of Ames. I'm gonna be working at the hospital there, and I think that it'll be a good change. It's scary and fraught with uncertainties, but I think once we get past the unknown stuff and get moved there it'll start to feel a little better. Not that it feels bad or anything, although I am sad to leave some of the people at the hospital now. It never was the job that had me wanting to leave Washington, even though I have kind of been feeling like I've hit the ceiling at my job--whether that's true or not, I can't tell you, but I'm moving now so that's kind of a moot point.

I've been feeling sort of "depressed" which really isn't the right word but it works in a pinch. I can't seem to focus and am having to work a lot harder to keep from slipping into a depressed state. I've been noticing that I'm withdrawing a lot--not really wanting to talk to anyone and mostly just wanting to disappear into my own world. I suppose that's not all bad as that'll give me time to think about stuff and not be all distracted by other things.

I've been listening to a lot of Liz Phair these days and I have to say that I'm really enjoying her stuff. I think the thing I like about Liz is that she has moxie! Yeah, she's a little bit naughty and singing about hot white cum is not exactly the thing that I'd like to expose Anna to (so consequently she doesn't listen to much Liz Phair.) I've mostly been listening to her latest CD that came out last summer. I think one of my favorites has got to be "Rock Me" where she talks about dating a guy 9 years younger than her--"I wanna play Xbox on your floor/Say hi to your roommate/Who's next door?" and in one of the best self-references in a song I've heard in a while "Your record collection don't exist/You don't even know who Liz Phair is."

Heidi doesn't like Liz much (more accurately, she's alternates between being intrigued and wanting to wash her mouth out with soap) but it's not the first artist that I've liked that she hasn't! :)

And in much safer music news--I just can't get enough of that Norah Jones/Dolly Parton song "Creepin' In." Check it out--it's on Norah Jones' new CD.

No comments: