Pages

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Remaking a mix tape

Ever since the advent of CD burners, I've been remaking old mix tapes from my past into CDs. Only trouble is, the tapes I bought were usually 90-100 minutes long and CDs can only hold 80 minutes worth of music. Consequently, I've always had to make crucial cuts which, while necessary, compromised the original integrity of the mix I made. The thing that's hard to remember in this day and age of instant custom CDs is how much of a time sink making mix tapes used to be, so making any kind of cut was akin to cutting off a finger or taking out a kidney.

Anyway, now that we have iTunes and iPods, I no longer have to make such cuts. And we're getting into the time of the year where I listen to a lot of Streisand. (just take a look at my Audioscrobbler page for more evidence of this) I came across a tape that is so chock full of memories of my time in Ames as a student that I had to make a playlist out of it. It's a tape I made called "Highlights from 'Just For The Record...'" which I made from the Barbra Streisand box set. I remember so vividly walking all over the ISU campus with that playing in my headphones (nerd alert!) and I figured, what with us being back in Ames, what a great time to remake it. Here's the playlist:

Don't Rain On My Parade
Starting Here, Starting Now
You Wanna Bet
On A Clear Day (You Can See Forever)
People
Stoney End
You're The Top! (w/ Ryan O'Neal)
Evergreen (Demo/Soundtrack Version)
The Singer
We've Only Just Begun
Hello Dolly!
Second Hand Rose/"My Name Is Barbra" Medley
Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Guilty
You Don't Bring Me Flowers (w/ Neil Diamond)
I Know Him So Well
Putting It Together
Excerpts from "The Judy Garland Show"
Miss Marmelstein
Keeping Out Of Mischief Now
Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf
Lover Come Back To Me
Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most
Have I Stayed Too Long At The Fair/Look At That Face
Here We Are At Last
Over The Rainbow
Like I said--probably only appeals to me, but hey, who cares?

No comments: