Pages

Monday, June 27, 2005

Dinosaur cups

Last weekend, I went to my grandparents' for Father's Day. I don't get up to see my grandparents (they're my mom's parents) as much as I probably should, and they really are getting on in years. Anyway, while I was there, I asked my grandma if I could have a coffee cup that I always remember from my years as a kid. I always wanted to drink out of it because I just thought it was the coolest damn cup in the universe. It was from the Smithsonian Institution (my grandparents traveled all over the place) and had an artist's rendition of a Tyrannosaurus on it.



The coolest thing about this cup now is that Tyrannosaurus will never be depicted like that again. Dragging its tail? I don't think so. Useless front appendages? Yeah, strike that. Scientists have learned a lot about Tyrannosaurus and by the time Sue came along at the Field Museum a lot had changed in the popular depiction of Tyrannosaurus--and you can see this vividly on my Sue coffee cup (Photoshopped to make a point.)



But perhaps the most amazing thing about these two cups is how much bigger the Sue cup is than the Smithsonian cup. I guess we just drink that much more coffee. *shrug*


Posted by Hello

No comments: