Pages

Monday, January 02, 2006

2005 in a nutshell

Well, I can barely believe that 2005 is so much history. It seems like just yesterday I was spending New Year's Day 2005 sicker than a dog (not for that reason!!) and the year was an endless sea of possibilities spread out before me. And now it's gone.

It's been a good year for the most part. This was the first full calendar year I spent at my current job, coming up on 2 years in April. It's a good job and I enjoy it. There are days that I miss the relative simplicity of my previous job, but I realize that the cost of staying there were too high in other areas of my life. I've taken on more responsibilities at work, which is a good thing, but also a bit nerve-wracking because I don't always think that I'm the best person to do some of the things that I'm doing. But I'm learning. It's been a lesson for me so far -- I'm far too much of a people-pleaser (something I got from my mom) and part of some of my new responsibilities require me to jettison some of that and just do the job. So that'll be good for me to learn.

Anna's growing up so fast -- I can hardly believe it. It's funny to think back to June when she wouldn't stay at a play group while Heidi went just down the hall without screaming and crying at being left alone. Now, as I drop her off at preschool, she hardly even notices that I leave. While this is good and an essential part of her development, I can't help but miss the baby she was. However, the little girl she's become is so fantastic. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that my daughter would be singing along to Cher, Kylie and Madonna. I probably should have known though, because she was getting 50% of her genes from me. It's fun watching her pretend-play with her Barbies and Playmobil unicorn set. Sometimes I'm amazed at the fact that I've raised this little girl. While I realize that the job is far from done, it's reassuring to know that so far, so good.

I feel like I've grown a lot in the last year. Isn't that weird -- to be 33 years old and feel like you're growing? Although, on the other hand, I suppose if you stop growing you've probably stopped living. So it's been a good one.

As for changes for the New Year? Well, wouldn't mind losing a little bit of weight (not that I feel I'm overweight, but I'm certainly not getting any younger.) I also want to keep on working on the spiritual aspect of my life -- getting centered in my life and feeling comfortable with myself. That's kind of an ongoing process, I guess. I'm also mulling switching from Blogger to Typepad because, dang, they just have some of the coolest features. Anyone reading this with input, I'm all ears. And if I do switch, I'll just have to make sure I blog more because I'll be paying for the privilege.

So here's to 2006. Happy New Year to anyone who may read these words -- but especially to all the friends that I know will read these words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan - Happy New Year. Good to read something new from you on your blog. I realised you had some probs with your computer, which, as for everyone, means total quiet for a time (though enforced quiet can sometimes be a good thing).

It seems 2006 was a good year for you too. Glad to hear it. The one benefit of getting a little older each year is the wisdom you gain. It seems to put everything into perspective.

On the Blogger/Typepad debate - well - I'd say the new year is the time to move. Typepad, which is behind my very own website, is far superior. The fact that you can have your own domain name mapped onto your site is perhaps my favourite feature, but there is so much more - the design facilities are amazing - I've recently overhauled my own blog. It only cost about five dollars a month and I think you get something like two months free trial or something at the moment. I did start of with Blogger (I am a big Google fan where everything else is concerned, Gmail perhaps being their best invention), but with Blogger - it's just not that user friendly or attractive.

Anyway - I'll stop sounding off like a crazy Typepad salesman. Hope you are having a good start to 2006. I have been off the radar recently, but I'll be in touch via email soonest.

P