Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Sunday night blogging

Not a whole lot of time to blog tonight--I'm bushed from a weekend in Washington. We're dropping the price on our Washington house by 10,000 dollars. We're going to lose our shirts on it, there's no doubt about it. But it beats the crap out of paying a double mortgage for the rest of my life. Hopefully someone will come along now and see it and totally fall in love with it and buy it. I'm serious, I'm going to accept the first reasonable offer that we get.

I finished watching The Weather Underground this weekend. That was one heck of a good documentary. It appealed to a lot of my base interests--post WWII American history, lefty politics, pop culture and plus there was a lot of cool video of the 1970s. It's so weird to see stuff like that--it's a time gone by (thankfully, for the most part) and it's so neat to have been able to capture it on film, unlike say the Civil War or something like that. It's truly a crime that late 20th century history is glossed over so much in school. I daresay that a lot of that stuff is more relevant than the War of 1812. Maybe they need to make some Schoolhouse Rocks about Watergate, Iran-Contra, 60s activism, Vietnam, etc. Hey, it worked for our generation.

Speaking of Schoolhouse Rock, this was a pretty good parody of "Elbow Room" that I stumbled across (probably via Metafilter which has all sorts of cool stuff.) It's called "Shock and Awe." WARNING: Right-wingers and people with no sense of humor should consider themselves duly warned.

Heidi said that it could have benefited from a little bit of subtelty, but it's still pretty damn clever. I especially like the guy (I presume it's the guy who made it) saying so seriously..."Because knowledge is power."

But back to The Weather Underground. Go rent it if you can. There's a reason it was nominated for an Oscar. I think I'm probably going to end up buying it.

No comments: