Pages

Friday, December 25, 2009

In which I didn't get 3rd degree burns in my crotch

Well, Christmas 2009 has come and gone - it was a good one around here. Usually it's just the three of us and the 5 cats, but this year, my wife's sister Hillari was here for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Heidi really liked having her here because (as was previously mentioned) I worked. It was a double-win because she had invited the Central Iowa Authors NaNoWriMo group up tonight. Although it was certainly not for lack of trying, they weren't able to navigate the icy roads between here and Des Moines, so that was pretty much a bust. The plus side is that they are all invited to New Year's now.

The morning before I got to work was laid back and non-stressful which is how Christmas morning should be. We got up at the crack of dawn and opened presents and all that good stuff and we had a good hot breakfast as well. There was the small trifle of snowblowing the driveway and although there were only a couple inches of snow, it was the wet and heavy snow that likes to gum up your snowblower. Pushing against it with the snowblower also gets tricky as it is so heavy you frequently have to take smaller cuts through the snow in order to move it. What I thought would take 30 minutes was more like an hour but it was done so I couldn't complain.

I came in and got a cup of coffee and sat down with Anna who was watching Barbie: A Christmas Carol. Call me crazy, but those Barbie movies are actually pretty good for young girls and Anna enjoys the hell out of them. As is my custom when I sit down in that chair, it wasn't long before my eyelids started drooping and I was weaving in and out of consciousness. There I sat, not quite conscious and holding a half-full cup of coffee in my lap. I should have know that this was a recipe for disaster.

It didn't take long for me to doze off to such an extent that I lost muscle tone and my hands let go of the coffee cup. It tipped over and started spilling all over my pants and the chair. I woke up with a start, half convinced I'd lost more than just muscle tone, but it didn't take me long to figure out it was coffee. Had that coffee been just out of the pot, I shudder to think what might have happened.

Fortuanately, it had cooled quite a bit and was not a threat. I'm fine but I do have a good idea of what it must feel like to wet your pants.

2 comments:

xolondon said...

Yikes Dan! Glad you are okay!

Yuяi said...

Ditto on being glad you're ok. Seems like Christmas was a good one for ya - barring the coffee incident. :)