Pages

Saturday, September 04, 2010

Get out of her way

Darren Hayes tweeted the following tonight: Rather than criticize something terrible, here's praise for something wonderful. He went on to talk about Arcade Fire's album. I can't talk about that since I haven't heard it, but he's right. It's so easy to trash something that fails to live up to expectations or disappoints.

I thought, since here we are four days into September & I haven't done a blog post yet, I'd follow Darren's lead. Of all the things to be born this week, nothing BUT NOTHING is more wonderful than Kylie's "Get Outta My Way" video. It is not embeddable, but click here to see it in all its gloriousness. Kylie has some good videos, but none that I would consider "classic" in a Madonna sense. But Kylie has out Madonna-d Madonna on her last two videos. Sure, Madonna has barely shown up to her last few video shoots, but with "Get Outta My Way" Kylie hit it out of the park. I've watched it probably 20 times since Friday and it is not old yet.

So what's so great about it? Let me show you.

1) Kylie herself

I am unable to explain why this little Australian can reduce me to such tween expressions of fandom. It wasn't until I was in my early 30s that Kylie even resurfaced on my radar after over a decade of silence. But whatever it is, she has it in spades. If I were to venture a guess, it goes beyond the fact that she is amazingly beautiful. It has to do with the fact that, unlike Madonna, she seems to genuinely enjoy making music. She is having fun with this and it shows. There is nothing more beautiful or sexier than Kylie in this video.

Even though she could fit in my pocket, she's bigger than life

2) Wolverine-like brass knuckles
I mean, seriously. Is this the most dangerous accessory we've seen yet?


3) The glittery heels from the America's Got Talent performance are back
Need I say more?


4) Kylie as superhero during the bridge
Aphrodite is full of songs with amazing bridges, and the bridge in "Get Outta My Way" is perhaps my favoirte on the album. And Kylie in her thigh-high red boots and cape surrounded by her minions as she's about to take off is an iconic moment.

5) Kylie vogues
Blink and you miss it, but it's there.


6) Chairs
Last, but certainly not least - this is what really pushes the video into "classic" territory for me. Chairs make everything sexy even sexier - or at least more interesting. Madonna knew this in the "Open Your Heart" video and during the Confessions Tour performance of "Like It Or Not." Kylie learns from Obi-Wan Madonna and uses chairs to maximum effect in this video.

If you look closely, you can see me in that last shot. The bleached hair took quite a bit of explaining at work but hey, it was worth it.

I always admire it when any artist bothers to even make a video nowadays. They certainly aren't the promotional tool they were back when I was a teenager. And when visuals like this are married to what is probably the most stellar song on Aphrodite, well, it makes this guy wonder when Madonna is going to wake up and smell the coffee and remind everyone how it's done.

We're waiting.

(and may I personally recommend SnagIt! for screen captures. It made this post a thousand times easier than Shift-Prt Scrn!)

1 comment:

Jason said...

I thought that was you back there dancing, with your platinum blond haircut. I always knew you'd be a video star! ;)