Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

We just run through our lives

If I have a guilty pleasure (who? me?), it's definitely Savage Garden. Actually, it's not a guilty pleasure, because I'm not ashamed of it at all. I think that Darren Hayes is a great pop lyricist (one need look no further than some of his post-Savage Garden solo work) and my God, does that man know how to write a good hook. Everybody thinks they can write a pop song, because it's so easy, right? Wrong. That's why there are so many bad ones. But Darren Hayes KNOWS how to write a good one.

Admittedly, I was not a huge Savage Garden fan when they were together, but when I started listening to Darren Hayes' solo work, I found myself listening to more and more Savage Garden. I was not a huge fan of "I Want You" (which was overplayed where I worked at the time) but I do have a big old soft(ie) spot for "I Knew I Loved You".

But my most favorite of all Savage Garden songs is, without a doubt, "Hold Me". It was one of the first songs I submitted to the CD thing that I do with Matt and Bess, mostly because I think it is such an amazing pop song. And Darren Hayes does falsetto so well...well, don't take my word for it.



This is does not appear to be live to me (although the video says it is), but so much the better because I love the album version. There was a great live clip of this song from one of Darren's solo shows (A Big Night In), but I can't find it on YouTube anymore. What I loved about it was how exuberant he was and how much that exuberance slipped into me while I was watching it.

A lot of people give me grief for my decidedly "non-guy" taste in music. To hell with them. I'd rather be happy listening to this than unhappy trying to listen to stuff I hate. Because this kind of stuff really does make me happy.

No comments: