Pages

Monday, March 08, 2010

Taxing no more & a follow-up

The 2009 taxes are done! In the end, she came up with almost identical numbers as I did, and I got to pay 300 bucks for the privilege. But at least I know they're done right AND we have a good place to jump off of for next year which promises to be a little more interesting as hopefully Heidi's writing will not operate at a loss.

I'd like to address the previous post as well. I know that it came across as that which I hate the most and for that I'm almost a little ashamed. Heidi chewed me out for it and told me I couldn't quit blogging until I reviewed Libby Drew's new book for Dreamspinner (which I will be doing.)

I think that what I'm mostly doing is just trying to find a different direction for what I write. Sometimes I'm very frustrated because as much fun as it is to talk about divas (I've been thinking about writing something about Mariah Carey's first album lately), I do crave deeper subjects. I think it's possible to talk about them without barfing your insides all over the place or emptying your purse out for everyone to see, but that fine line is difficult and it's one I struggle with.

Basically what I need to remember is this: this is who I am, you can like it or not. You can love me or leave me, but I'm never gonna stop.

4 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

please continue blogging in whatever format works best for you. I adore visiting here, it's like coming over to a neighbours house and having a good ol' chinwag!

Anonymous said...

Please be yourself. Don't be what you think other people want you to be. Besides, good writers expose themselves honestly, and they claim their own moral authority. To he'll with the readers' value judgments. These writers tell the truth. There are few things more brave you can do. And readers respond to this. They see someone who is true to himself and has integrity that is not swayed by the uncritical fashion of the day of some people's wavering opinions. If anything, you are a much needed beacon of real honesty. Your blog can and does inspire others and teach them to do the same.

Dan said...

Thank you both for your words of encouragement. I should have gone with my gut reaction and just left it in draft form as the drama quotient has dropped significantly. I'm ready to carry on, although it my be in a slightly altered form.

As far as honesty goes, I think there has to be a balance. As my wife always says, you can never be safe, but you can be smart. That said, I tend to think that leading by example is one of the most authentic things you can do in your life. If what I write and how I write it inspires only one other person to live more true to themselves, it's been worth it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting point about being smart. I think there are times when you can make a move that doesn't seem smart to anyone, but after the fact, it was a smart thing to do. It takes intuition, courage, wisdom, and a lot of luck I suppose to make those game-changing moves.

I do think you lead by example, however!