Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Is politics the world's oldest profession?

I have all these Howard Dean calls to make over the next couple of nights--trying to gauge the level of support Dean has among local Democrats. I'm alternately looking forward to doing it and dreading it. I'm looking forward to it because I'm really doing something during this campaign, rather than just bitching about how much I dislike Bush and his policies. I dread it because I just despise making phone calls. I always told Heidi I'd do anything to get Dean the nomination (and consequently elected President) but make phone calls. Yet, here I am, making phone calls to total strangers. This may be a small town, but it's not one where everyone knows everybody. People just aren't like that for some reason. Truth be told, it's just a little bit too big of a town for that. If we were half the size we are, then everyone would know everyone else's every move.

*sigh* Doing political phone calls makes me feel like a slut. Or something like that. I mean, I call these people, and admittedly, these aren't solid Dean supporters, but they are local Democrats. You'd think they'd be a little bit friendly. Some were, others didn't give me the time of day. No one was out-and-out mean, but the rejection is tough to take. I had a lady tell me that Dean was her second choice after Kucinich. I had another guy tell me he didn't think that Dean could win because he wasn't a Senator.

No comments: