Pages

Monday, November 29, 2004

Post Turkey Day

Well, back to work after four days off. Well, techincally 4 1/2 because it's weird to leave work at 3:30 PM on Wednesday and not come back until 2:00 PM on Monday. It was a good time off. A lot of people at our house for Thanksgiving, saw my brother and his wife and spent time relaxing. I watched Freddy vs. Jason which was way better than it had any right to be--I'm thinking it might have benefited from insanely low expectations. Not a bad mixing of the two mythologies but after a while, watching Freddy and Jason fight was akin to the scene in Pirates of the Caribbean where Jack Sparrow is dueling Captain Barbosa even though they were both undead skeleton guys. I mean, no one's ever going to win, right? And if they'd have left the last scene off of F vs. J, why, then it would have at least made a tiny bit of sense. But still a fun slasher movie with some inventive slashing. But nothing I ever need to see again.

I'm reading Dante's Inferno right now. I haven't read that since I was in high school--and since I found the entire set in paperback at the Good Will store in Washington, I figured I'd give it another go. Surprisingly not all that tough of a read. But I was thinking something as I read this morning--Dante and Virgil are heading across the River Styx toward the demon guarded City of Dis--and the wrathful and sullen are condemned to inhabit the river. The sullen are below the surface and the only signs of their presence are the bubbles of their despair. Sullenness a sin? Yep, at least according to Dante. And boy do I know a lot of people that walk around in a permanent state of sullenness. Makes me all the more determined to not get sucked up into that mindset. Of course, at this time of the year, that's always easier said than done, but it's worth a shot, no?

No comments: