Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2005

CD Spotlight -- 4/17/2005


Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night (1987)

I'm not exactly sure what drove me to dig this CD out--I think it might have had something to do with the fact that Throwndown.net had links to some Tango demos and remixes and it made me kind of want to hear the CD. Honestly, I haven't listened to this CD in ages. As Fleetwood Mac CDs go, it's a little bit too polished and glossy for my tastes. But I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on it, because without it, it's hard to say whether I would have ever started listening to Fleetwood Mac at all. That's right, you can trace most, if not all, of my Fleetwood Mac fandom to "Big Love."

And "Big Love" isn't even that good of a song, but it's very spring of 1987, so it has that in its favor. But overall, I feel like Lindsey Buckingham overproduced the album a little bit, and Stevie Nicks totally gets the short end of the stick--she only has 3 songs (none of which save "Seven Wonders" are all that memorable) and you can barely hear her at all in any of the other songs. (Notable exception: "Little Lies") I remember a comment from a review that I read around the time of the album's release that Stevie mutters "what's the matter baby..." on "When I See You Again" until the answer is completely obvious. And yeah, that song should have never made the cut. But you do have to cut her some slack--she was pretty strung out on cocaine at the time if I recall correctly (or perhaps it was Klonopin--it hardly matters.) It makes me wish that a solid rock song like "What Has Rock & Roll Ever Done For You?" would have made the cut instead of "When I See You Again." But really, I guess "What Has Rock & Roll..." sounds more like a Stevie Nicks solo track rather than a Fleetwood Mac song.

In any event, it's a fairly solid FM effort, but it sounds dated today. Posted by Hello

No comments: