Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Songs of summer, part 2

Time for another installment in my songs of summer 2006. Here's 5 more from my list.

1) Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie (iTunes)
I really didn't want to like this song. In that respect, it's this summer's "Hollaback Girl." But, like any good pop song, it crawled into my brain and has stayed there all summer. I would hear this song constantly at work, and talk about how I didn't like it. And then, before long, I was downloading it off iTunes.

2) Pet Shop Boys - I'm With Stupid (iTunes)
I've always been kind of a fair weather Pet Shop Boys fan. The only CD of theirs I owned (up till this summer) was Discography which has all the best known stuff on it, i.e. "West End Girls", "It's A Sin," and "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" Admittedly, the song appeals to my political leanings, but it's also a great little pop song. Heidi thinks it sounds like it could have been recorded in 1986. And that's one of the things I love most about it.

3) Pinmonkey - Fly (iTunes)
This is a cover of that Sugar Ray song from several years ago, only it's done by a country/western band. And I just can't resist it. They also have a song on the same CD called "Falling Out Of Love With Me" which originally written and recorded by Dolly Parton. She even does a guest vocal on their version. It was that song that exposed me to their music. And "Fly" was an unexpected benefit.

4) Christina Aguilera - Candyman (iTunes)
This was a late addition to my songs of summer, having just discovered it last week. It's from Christina Aguilera's newest CD. Usually, I don't really get into her music, as I think she mostly oversings and I really didn't particularly care for "Ain't No Other Man," but this one's kind of fun. It sounds like Madonna could have recorded it for her I'm Breathless CD.

5) Madonna - Liquid Love
And for the 5th one today, another song that you can't buy. However, if you look hard enough on the web, you'll find it. It's an unreleased track from the Ray Of Light sessions that could have easily found a place on the album, although it's said that Madonna didn't feel like it fit in with the mood of the album. That said, it is a little bit silly, and c'mon liquid love? But it's a great little song. And while I could have put the entire Confessions on a Dance Floor CD on this summer song list, I opted for this little known track. Hell, I didn't even know about it until just a couple months ago.

That's it for tonight. Off to bed once again.

No comments: