Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Water water everywhere

There was one hell of a thunderstorm this morning. I woke up around 6AM to thunder and lightning so I went downstairs to turn off computers. Not 10 minutes later, my mother-in-law (who is our houseguest this week) came upstairs to warn me that I had a little flood in the basement. Shit, I was just down there -- what could have happened.

Well, I wish I had had the wherewithall to take a picture because there was water all over my office floor. As near as I can figure, it came in through an outside door because rain came down so hard and so fast that the normal drainage system was simply overwhelmed. There's also a pile of dead leaves in that area which probably helped not one little bit.

So I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart this morning to get a Shop-Vac and I cleaned up the mess. It was, surprisingly, not as bad as I was anticipating. The carpet's still a little bit damp and I have to move the dehumidifier to a better location so as to facilitate the evaporation of what water is left.

Craziness - not how I expected to start today. Although, let me tell you, I've never been happier to work at 10AM than I was today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan: Sorry to hear about your water troubles, and even more sorry to hear about your computer troubles. That's probably ass backwards but I suspect you probably feel the same.

Dude, you should've gotten a Mac. I know I'm one to talk (since I'm still using my PC) but you know how I feel about this. If that were my PC that didn't work as soon as I brought it home, I would've returned it for a full refund and gone elsewhere. If something doesn't work, I don't like it or want it anymore even if someone can fix it.

Hell, it's got to feel new for a little while. Take it easy.

inkgrrl said...

Oh that sucks... you had a crappy week... hope it's better this week?