Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Stubbs the Zombie

Since I'm done talking about Pluto, I thought I'd return to one of my most favorite of all topics: zombies.

Last night when Heidi and I were at the Apple Store in Des Moines, I came across this game called Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel Without A Pulse. Needless to say, I was intrigued. A zombie video game with a sense of humor that's not just mindless blowing up shit? It couldn't be!

I did a little bit of web research about it and found out that it wasn't just for the Mac (which, it being the Apple Store and all, was the only version the Apple Store had.) There was also a PC version. I found the demo online and downloaded it pronto.

Perhaps the most intriguing thing about this game is that you're not killing zombies - you ARE a zombie. You're Stubbs - the alpha zombie in the attack on Punchblowl USA. The game takes place in the 50s, which just adds to the campy feel. In the demo, you lumber around Punchbowl Dam ("Welcome to Punchbowl Dam, where our motto is 'Dam it!'") attacking various scientists and cops either eating their brains (where animated blood gushes all over the place) or simply attacking them and turning them into a member of the zombie horde. They, in turn can do the same and before too long, you can have a huge zombie horde.

While the game concept is cool, gameplay isn't all that great. It's hard to control Stubbs, as it's a combination of mouse and keyboard controls. The game is also really dark. And really, for my money, I can do enough brain munching with the demo - I don't think I really need the whole game.

Although if I found it for 10 bucks, I'd pick it up in heartbeat.

No comments: