Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

We go waiting for the stars

When Heidi went to London, she spent the night before she left at our friends Barb & Chip's house. Barb & Chip have a great house in rural Minnesota that is full of books - and mostly, the books are an odd assortment. This is even better, because, really, do we need to see The Da Vinci Code on another person's bookshelf? Or even Harry Potter?

While I was perusing the bookshelves in their house, I happened upon a book that I haven't thought of since my youth.



It was Stars: A Golden Nature Guide. I think my father must have given that book to me when I was a kid - I was VERY interested in planets and stars and what not (although probably not as much as dinosaurs.) I swear that we had this very edition!

As I was reading it, I began to realize that not only did the book date back to my youth, but it likely predated it by a significant period of time. The fact that there were only paintings of the planets and not photos was my first big clue. The second was the mention of Halley's Comet making a return visit to the Earth in 1986. This page, however, sealed the deal that I didn't need to look at the copyright to know that it was older than I was.


A quick look at the copyright confirmed my suspicions. 1956. Wow.

Barb told me that I could keep the book - much to my great delight. I think I love it more BECAUSE it's so old and outdated. It's a little time capsule that reflects a time when we didn't have all the technological know how that we have today. Not that I'd want to live in that time by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like to think about it and wonder what it would have been like to live then. I know many sell it as a simpler time, but it was not. Still, I'd like to visit some time. Perhaps someday I will if I can ever invent my very own way-back machine.

But in the meantime, we can all listen to Erasure.

1 comment:

V said...

Sorry, late in responding to this.

What a great book! I have not come across this but would love to have it. I am still and will always be fascinated by the cosmos. I recently found one of those Time & Life books on the solar system out there in the streets. Paid $2. for it. :)