Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Too much makeup, too much hair

One of my favorite songs of last year has gotten the video treatment. This makes me VERY happy, as so few artists even go to the effort to make videos any longer. The fact that it's Dolly Parton and that it's for the song "Backwoods Barbie" - a song that I consider to be a modern day Dolly classic, a worthy successor to songs such as "Jolene" and "Coat of Many Colors" is icing on the cake.



I love the use of color vs. black & white in this video. And Dolly all dolled up in "a country girl's idea of glam" is great. But I will say, at the risk of inciting the wrath of Dolly-ites everywhere, that her plastic surgery has never been more apparent than it is in this video. That's okay - it works for this video. A part of me recognizes my hypocrisy in chastising Madonna for refusing to grow old with grace and dignity, and giving Dolly a pass on the same thing. But for some reason, with Dolly, it's different. Perhaps it's because you can tell that beneath all that gunk and hair and makeup is a geniune person who is neither needy nor screwed up. At least no more than the rest of us are.

Anna came in and finished watching this video with me. Her comment. "Too much makeup, too much hair. *looking all serious* Dad, that's kinda true."

As I've said before, you can't make this shit up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can respect Dolly more than Madonna, too. At least Dolly openly admits that she's had plastic surgery.