Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

Walking the walk

We have a Hobby Lobby here in Ames and we shop there every now and again, mostly for seasonal stuff or whenever we get an idea that we want to add a bit of decoration to a room. But I always feel a little bit weird whenever I walk in there, for it always smacks a little bit of religious fundamentalism. There is no mistaking that the Christian faith is very important to them. My experience has taught me that people (or businesses or whatever) that go around declaring how religious they are usually end up having life practices that are the most incongruous with that professed faith. So when I shop there, I always am a bit skeptical.

But yesterday, they showed they not only talk the talk, they walk the walk. They had a good year, and what did they do? They passed it on to the workers by increasing their minimum wage to $10 an hour for all employees, and those already making that got raises as well. According to a spokesperson, the company "had a profitable year and wanted to pass it onto the employees" because "it was the right thing to do."

Now that, folks, is living your Christian values.

No comments: