Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Duran Duran, moving anxieties

My music choice this morning is Duran Duran's 1986 album Notorious. I'm not quite sure what prompted me to listen to this, but it's pretty good for a mid 80s "comeback" CD. Were Duran Duran really making a comeback in 1986? Maybe it was all those side projects--Arcadia, Andy Taylor solo career--that just made it seem like a comeback. Who the hell knows?

So I'm down to three days of work left, and I'm feeling a bit of separation anxiety, but I think it'll be okay. We're done interviewing candidates for my job and I have a pretty good idea who John will hire. So that's good to have that out of the way. I was distressed learning what other pharmacist's positions are paying around the area because dang, I've been working for peanuts for the last 5 years. And if you're to believe some of the things I heard, I'll still be working for (relative) peanuts when I change jobs. Oh well--that's when I tell myself there's more to jobs than the salary. I have no regrets about how this move has played out.

I'll miss John a lot--he's been so much more than just a "boss" to me. He's become my friend along the way too. It's amazing to me that I won't see him every day like I do now. But as I told him, I'll still send him e-mail forwards and as I keep trying to tell myself, just because I'm moving doesn't mean that I'm falling off the face of the Earth so I'll still be alive and if people from work want to get in touch with me, well, I'll be available. That is the one thing that I'm not really looking forward to in the new job--I'm going to have to get to know people all over again, and that's hard and fraught with unknowns and difficulties. But what are my options, really? Never talk to these people? I don't think so. I try to focus of how exciting it'll be to have a whole new social circle and think of the possibilities (which really are endless.)

Mostly, I'm with Heidi. I just want to do this. Being on the edge of moving is just awful.

In the meantime--check this article out in Salon. It's an interview with John Dean and the title of the article is "Creepier Than Nixon."

No comments: