Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Marvel Zombies

Because Heidi urged me last week to go ahead and order something that I've been wanting but, because of our always precarious money situation, have not, I purchased the Marvel Zombies hardcover from Amazon.com Sellers. I am not one that gets into comics - the closest I got growing up was a huge collection of MAD magazines from about 1981 through 1985. But, as you can reliably predict, when I found out about a zombie take on classic Marvel superheroes like Spiderman, Hulk, and Wolverine, I couldn't resist.

And it was, quite surprising, very good! I loved the fact that the zombie superheroes were not just mindless - they actually had good dialogue, was cleverly plotted. I was reading it yesterday morning while Anna was at dance, but ultimately, I had to put it away because it was too attractive to the 6 year old boys that were waiting there with their parents, and personally, I think it's too gory for that age group. Naturally, Anna found it where I had left it out on the porch and was fascinated by it.

And imagine my delight when I found out that there is going to be a prequel called Marvel Zombies: Dead Days which will chronicle how the heroes became zombies in the first place. I did some online research and found out that it is set for release on May 7th. I might have to go to the local comic store in Campustown called Mayhem - ground upon which I have never before set foot - to go and pick that up. Here's a sneak peek.

I think what makes me most excited about the prequel is that, honestly, it's the genesis of the zombies and the initial "Oh, shit! The dead are walking the earth!" that I love. There's also a Marvel Zombies sequel coming out which, admittedly, I'm not as excited about, but will probably end up picking up in hardcover like I did Marvel Zombies. It's Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness and not being a huge Evil Dead series fan, it'll have to be pretty good to sustain my attention. Although I will admit the cover is intriguing!

And of course, this has made me VERY interested in the comic (although I was corrected by Heidi this morning - apparently the preferred term is graphic novel) The Walking Dead which is available from Amazon.com in hard cover (several volumes at that!) What a great gift that would make for this soon-to-be 35 year old boy! (hint hint)

1 comment:

almostwitty.com said...

But surely superhero zombies would just be mindless automatons with the compulsion to eat brainz? Or am I missing something here? :)