Pages

Monday, November 27, 2006

On pop and Heart

I walked home from work tonight in the dark and in the rain. Is that lyric to a pop song? If it isn't, it should be. Someone once told me that a pop song shouldn't know how you feel. My response to that is, if it doesn't, what's the point?

So I think I'm feeling a bit of the same things that Heidi's feeling these days. It's always a good thing to be on the same page as your spouse. Or if not the same page, at least in the same chapter. I worked tonight and it was very busy. But even with the level of busy that we had at work tonight, I should not be as tired as I am after a refreshing weekend and several days off last week. And I've also figured out that it has nothing to do with work - it has everything to do with me. I don't know exactly what to do about it yet, but I think that dancing myself silly would definitely help. And while it would be fun to go to a club, as others have pointed out, there's no place in the world for 30 somethings to go and dance without feeling like they need to be in a wheelchair. At least not here in Iowa. Someone in our family needs to hurry up and get married so that we can dance!! But since I don't see any impending marriages on the horizon, I guess that's something that will have to wait.

Of course, now all I can think of is "Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!"

So before I go to bed tonight, I have a total hankering to listen to Heart. While I was at work tonight, I heard the song "Kick It Out" which I swear to God I haven't heard in I can't even tell you how long. And I'm not even sure why I heard it as it is certainly not one of the better known Heart songs, even though it was a single (peaking at a pathetic #79 on the Billboard Hot 100. Travesty!) In fact, I can't say that I've ever heard it anywhere except when I have purposely decided to listen to it, so it makes me wonder if I hallucinated the whole thing. But in any event, I heard it and it made me SO want to listen to Heart immediately. Be it old Heart, total corporate sell-out Heart, or we're back to our roots Heart. Whatever. I just wanted to hear the power of Ann Wilson's voice. And what a voice it is.

I think that Ann Wilson has probably one of the strongest voices of the rock era - and that's no joke. I'm always amazed by these women with these incredible voices. I think it's one of the reasons that I'm so into female artists - their voices just speak to me so much more than male voices ever could -- Casey Stratton notwithstanding. And I have a thing for strong women. *shrugs*

And what a shame it was that at the time they were at their most commercially viable, Ann put on so much weight that they couldn't show her in the videos any longer. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Ann Wilson for gaining the weight - I'm knocking the stupid corporate mentality that women who are not completely skin and bones cannot possibly be attractive. I find it to be complete and utter TRAVESTY (I know I've used that word more in this post than I think I have in my entire life) that they felt the need to stretch her out like she was in a carnival mirror in the "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You" video. It has been good to see her come to terms with her appearance. Because really, with Ann, it's all about the voice. She could be a big old piece of snot on the floor and if she could still sing like that, I wouldn't care a single bit.

So I'm finishing up on Dog & Butterfly - an album that I bought in 1995 when I had a MAJOR Heart renaissance sparked by their The Road Home live acoustic album. It's a concept album of sorts - only 8 songs long (I KNOW!!) but the first 4 (the first side of the vinyl album) being the "dog" side -- faster, harder rocking songs. The final 4 songs are all softer, the "butterfly" side, so-to-speak. I've always liked the "dog" side better. It seems like the "butterfly" songs all run together, although the song "Dog & Butterfly" is quite good. I was always of the opinion, if you have your choice between Ann Wilson being all soft and mellow and kicking ass and taking names, I'd always pick the latter. Every. Single. Time.

So I've nattered on quite enough. I think I'll go to bed. The workday starts in just over 8 hours.

No comments: