It is Sunday evening and bedtime is fast approaching for this guy that gets up at the crack of dawn every day to head to work. I am currently fighting the Sunday night melancholy that seems to come around a bit too often these days. I have not felt much like blogging over the last couple weeks, as is evidenced by the lack of posts and the lack of anything really substantial in the posts that do show up. As XO once told me, one should never be beholden to a blog - it should be fun and not a chore. Sometimes I want to start from scratch - delete the whole thing and just begin anew and rise like the phoenix from the ashes. But there's no way I could just hit the delete key and see 4 years worth of stuff vaporize as if someone dropped a nuke on it. It's usually about this time that I think about switching to Wordpress or something, but I inevitably stick with Blogger because it's what I know and where everything is and really, for a free service, it's pretty good.
Anyway, here's a few things I have been thinking about/reading/listening to/doing in the last week or so.
1) I am a slow reader, but I have been plugging away at Terry Pratchett's Pyramids. I am enjoying it quite a bit - it's only the second Pratchett I have read. Of course, in the time it has taken me to read 2/3rds of Pyramids, Heidi has read probably 7 or 8 Pratchetts. Darn her and her quick reading!
2) I also was at the library today and I picked up The Secret just for the nuts of it. It is a lot of hocus pocus mumbo jumbo Oprahfied stuff, but there is something at the core of it that I think is real and true. It is reminding me a bit of that What The Bleep stuff because it talks about willing things into reality. I admit to being intrigued by that but I am skeptical but willing to try just about anything once. The nice thing about those self-help books is that you can take what you like and leave the rest.
3) Via my friend Matt (who is not a blogger to my knowledge, but really, I think he'd be a good one!) I have been listening to some of Lindsey Buckingham's solo work and really, it is quite good - especially some of the stuff from Out of the Cradle - really, "Soul Drifter" is just near pop perfection.
4) I have also discovered the band Girlyman through Matt and what a find it is. Kind of a Nickel Creek meets the Indigo Girls, but probably equal parts pop and folk. The close harmonies are just a joy to listen to and pluck just the right strings in me. I will definitely be listening to more - as of right now, I managed to find the songs "Young James Dean", "Speechless", and "On The Air."
5) Dear God, I'm so far behind on my Netflix. I STILL haven't watched Black Sheep! What is wrong with me?
6) Saw IV opened to 32 million bucks this weekend. This virtually guarantees a Saw V - even though I have no idea if they left it open for a sequel (although I figure the answer to that is the same as the answer to "Is the Pope Catholic?")
7) Fall is whizzing by at an unprecedented pace. October is just about over, which is kind of sad because it's really my favorite month of the year and damn if I didn't spend most of it sick in some way or another! Oh well, all in all it wasn't too bad. And there's still a few days of it left, so I guess we better make it count.
8) Bill Maher hit the nail on the head in this op-ed piece in Salon. If you aren't a premium member, you'll probably have to click through an ad, but do it anyway.
I guess that's it. Not much really, but a few cool things.