Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Because it's been a while

I don't usually do memes, but I ran across this one and thought it more interesting than most. And since I may not get a chance to post tomorrow as I am working (booyouwhores! as Paul would say) and the day is AT LEAST a 10 hour shift, I thought I'd work into the Thanksgiving holiday with something lighthearted and fun.

1. What is the first music album you remember owning?

There are a lot of them, but this is the one that I really remember.

I had a boatload of those Sesame Street records as a kid - Bert's Blockbusters, Ernie's Hits, and Grover Sings The Blues, but Letters...And Numbers, Too! is one of the first records I ever remember having. I listened to them constantly, memorizing every word and playing them till the grooves wore out. I think I still have them around somewhere.

2. If not the same, what is the first music album you purchased for yourself?

Um...it would be this one.

Long before Madonna (but not all that long), there was Olivia. My first celebrity crush, and the first non-kid record that I ever bought with my very own, hard earned money was Olivia's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2. My Olivia fandom was well known in my elementary school, and how exactly I avoided getting beaten up on a daily basis is something that I still don't fully understand. In any event, she cranked out some fun pop songs in her day and some of the best of the best are on this album.

3. What artist currently occupies the most space either in terms of shelf space or megabytes on your hard drive?

I'm not currently at my main computer (rather am working on the laptop), but it is without a doubt, Madonna. I have probably over 1100 Madonna tracks on my computer - between live shows (including 5 different Blond Ambition Tours, 3 Confessions Tours, 3 Re-Invention Tours - all from various cities), fan made remixes, and demos and rare cuts, she definitely comes out on top there.

4. How many different types of music media (vinyl, cassette, CD, etc) have you owned in your lifetime?

I have purchased vinyl, cassettes, CDs, and mp3s. My parents owned tons of 8-tracks when I was growing up, but I don't believe that I ever actually purchased one of those.

5. Who or what has had the biggest effect on your music taste?

My mom and dad had a lot of influence on my early taste, and by the time I hit my teenage years, I was all about the radio and the Billboard charts. Once I got to college, and the music scene shifted from pop to something decidedly more foreign to me, I depended on music magazines and the fledgling internet for music recommendations. Nowadays, it's all about the internet, baby. Meeting a lot of other bloggers has really helped to expand my musical palate beyond what I would naturally gravitate toward. I'd say that without a doubt, people I have met through blogging have really steered my musical tastes in the last few years.

6. How do you currently prefer to listen to music?

By and large, it's on the computer and on the iPod. I do listen to a lot of music in the car (when I'm in there) and a lot of times I'll play CDs in there. But even then, I will frequently bring my iPod along because I am all about having control of the music. Music on my terms is a big thing for me.

7. In terms of music memorabilia, what is your most prized possession?

I don't have anything truly collectible - but I do like my "True Blue" limited edition 7" blue vinyl. Borderline Music in Chicago has tons of Madonna collectible stuff, but sadly, all of it is very pricey. And I suppose if you want to count it as "music memorabilia", I am also quite fond of the French version of the Sex book, although it was more the thrill of the chase because it rarely comes out of its mylar packaging.

8. Have you ever “swapped headsets” with a complete stranger (meaning have you ever unplugged the earphones from your listening device and plugged them into someone else’s player and had them do the same)? If yes, what did they play for you?

Um, no. Although once someone asked to borrow my iPod while they went on break at work and because I lacked a better reason than "I don't want you to see what's on my iPod" I said yes. I still felt like someone was asking to borrow my underwear.

9. Have you ever been completely obsessed with a particular artist? Who and to what level did your fandom go?

Who? Me? Are you kidding me or what? ;) Seriously though, I would have to say that my Madonna fandom has bordered on obsession, although it has waxed and waned through the years. When I first discovered the Madonna listserv, I became quite a regular contributor, but once I left school and got a job, my priorities changed a little bit and that kind of fandom seemed kind of silly. I feel like I have settled down some, but I still get beyond excited for new Madge.

10. What is the farthest you’ve ever traveled for a concert?

According to Google Maps, Las Vegas is further from Ames than Washington D.C., so the Confessions Tour wins. I did drive to Chicago completely solo to go see Casey Stratton perform in a coffee shop which I think should count for something,.

11. Who have you seen in concert the most?

Madge wins again with three different concerts, but only because I have not seen that many people more than once. The only other acts that I've seen more than once are Casey Stratton, Fleetwood Mac and Dixie Chicks.

Well, wasn't this fun? If you want to do it on your own blog, consider yourself tagged.

1 comment:

V said...

Hi Dan. I like these questions and I'm going to try and do this myself.

Thanks for posting it.