Pages

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Cold

Damn, but it's cold outside!

I was under the impression that this had been a light blogging week, but in retrospect, it wasn't too bad. Probably about average for what I'm doing these days.

Well, it's Sunday afternoon and the weekend that was spread out before me on Friday is now behind me (for the most part.) I must say that I didn't do anything too terribly productive with the weekend - mostly was just lazy. I did, however, go to a birthday party with Anna (the brother of of one of her little preschool friends.) It was a bowling birthday party - and I was not really looking forward to it as I'm not much of a bowler and I was mostly just wanting to sit in the house under a blanket as it's been so goddamn cold these last few days. Well, I went, and I'm proud to report, that for the first time in recent history, I broke 100 bowling. I scored 115!! Granted, that was with the bumpers up so that it was impossible to get a gutter ball. And my 5 year old bowled an 88. So maybe that's not something to be so proud of, but hey, I'll take what I can get!

I watched the first episode of that HBO mini-series "From The Earth To The Moon" this afternoon. The last time we were in Minneapolis, we went to the IMAX at the zoo there. They were showing a moon movie and were giving away the first episode on DVD for free with admission. Granted that was probably a year and a half ago, so yeah, it's taken me a while to get to it. I really enjoyed it - so much that if it were more than 3 degrees outside, I would trek down to the library and get the rest of it. But since it's so blessedly cold outside, I decided to stay in and put it in my Netflix queue. Of course, that's going to require that I watch the Netflix I have out right now (Bram Stoker's Dracula - which I haven't seen since it was in theaters.) Heidi wants to watch it with me and trying to schedule time for us to watch something together is already negotiation enough - but then you have to factor in the whole "Anna can't watch it" aspect and well, you can understand why we've had it for two weeks now.

I also finished the book I've been reading - Darkly Dreaming Dexter - and what a great book it was. I thought the ending was a bit rushed, but the concept of a serial killer who works for the police department who kills only people who deserve it. I can't recommend the book enough because it really was well written and Dexter - despite being a serial killer and pretty much a sociopath, was oddly likable. I have the next one in the series (Dearly Devoted Dexter) thanks to Kevin who gave them to me for Christmas. It's always nice to find a new author to read - hopefully, his style won't grate on me like Christopher Moore's and John Irving's eventually did. Whether I pick up Dearly Devoted Dexter right away or try something else in the meantime is still up in the air. There are simply too many books to read and not enough time in which to read them. I'm very eager to start watching the Showtime program based on the books (and especially glad that there are torrents, us of no cable.)

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that today is Super Bowl Sunday and nearly every other red-blooded American male is probably psyched beyond words. Me? I couldn't possibly care less. Last year, Jeff and I went to Brokeback Mountain (me for the second time) during the Super Bowl. While it's a great and funny joke, I have to admit that I do feel a bit separated from my own gender because I don't enjoy sports - televised or otherwise. It's not something that I think of all that much - at least not now - but it does exist. I am sometimes very envious of men that can talk to each other at length without the awkward pauses and feeling distinctly different. Perhaps I'm overanalyzing it, and it is certainly not something that I think of constantly or anything. And perhaps I should remember that I have people that I can do that with - it's just different strokes for different folks.

I think I'm going to go take a shower and get into a clean pair of pajamas. In any event, I have to go upstairs as I've lost the feeling to my toes. That's how cold it is in my basement office.

No comments: