Pages

Friday, June 06, 2008

Adventures in garage door openers

There are nice things about living in an older house vs. living in brand new construction. There's the character of a non-cookie cutter style house, as well asthe likelihood that you'll live on a tree-lined street vs. one with just saplings. But let me tell you, upkeep is a bitch with a capital B.

Last night we realized that our garage door opener remote control had definitely seen better days. It's kind of been one of those slow deaths that finds us always able to eke out one more use from the remote, and then pray that it works again to open the door the next day. Anyway, since last night it was so completely uncooperative, Heidi was out at Lowe's today and picked up a replacement one for 25 bucks that promised to work on all Genie garage door openers pre-1995. A good look at ours leaves very little room for doubt that it's pre-1995.

I was proud of myself, I figured out how to program it and everything. I pushed the button. Nothing. I looked again and tried a few different things with it. Still nothing. I tried looking REALLY MEAN at it, and still nothing. So I went and did some Google searching. As it turns out, the garage door opener remotes on the market of the era covered by this new remote all use this 390 MHz frequency. From what I was able to glean, it started in about 1983. A bit more searching turned up this little tidbit:

Our particular model of garage door opener was manufactured in the 1960s.

For the love of all that's sacred, that's a 40+ year old garage door opener I've got out there!

So needless to say, I think we're in the market for a new one. The bright side? American Home Shield covers garage door openers. Once again, that AHS home warranty is worth the 40 bucks a month I pay for it.

Naturally, the whole time I was doing this project, I couldn't help but think of Violet Newstead installing the garage door opener, yet Franklin Hart still refers to her as his "girl." Just more proof that nearly any situation in life can be satisfied by a quote from 9 to 5.

2 comments:

Myfizzypop said...

kudos on your garage door opening skills. Oh my that sounds so sarcastic! It really isn't meant to! I still don't know how to change a plug! Anyway, your 40 year old thingy has done well. My apartment block is 3 years old and the automatic doors have been broken most of that whole time!

BTW your post below this one made me think that someone should totally do a Tudors (Showtime series) promo vid set to Enigma's Sadeness... ending it with the breathing as Anne Boleyns head falls. God i feel creative now :P

inkgrrl said...

It feels overly domestic and suburban to wish you a Happiest Birthday on a post about garage door openers, but what the heck, I'll take a metaphor offered freely...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!