Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

MTV for us oldsters

It is practically a cliche to say "Remember when MTV used to play videos?" Well, as I am fond of saying, just because something is a cliche does not mean that it isn't true. As a child of the MTV generation, I cannot count the hours logged as a teenager watching music videos. The story I love telling is how on one Friday night in 1986, I was flipping between MTV, Friday Night Videos and Night Tracks and all three were playing the same video (for the record, it was Cinderella's "Nobody's Fool")

As I've gotten older, MTV and I kind of parted ways. But now, MTV has launched it's MTV Music site. And let me tell you, it is a sight for sore eyes. Not only does it have a bevy of classic videos, they are also done in what I would consider high quality full screen format (something that is sadly lacking on YouTube for the most part.)

It does not collect every video made during the hey day of MTV (no Bangles, for instance), but there are a lot on there (1,131 pages of them to flip through if you're bored.)

And as a treat, here's one of the first music videos I ever remember seeing.


(hat tip to Boy Culture -- and yes, the Madonna tour review is coming! These things take time!)

No comments: