Pages

Sunday, July 02, 2006

I love Wikipedia

The merits of Wikipedia can be argued till the cows come home, but as a fun time waster, you can hardly beat it. Web surfing is so last season, now I'm all about Wikipedia surfing. It's the ultimate in stream of consciuosness, only you actually get educated in the process. My mother-in-law doesn't particularly care for Wikipedia, and since she's an educator, that doesn't particularly surprise me. Apparently, teachers and librarians don't want kids using Wikipedia as a source for their papers, speeches, etc. There's a certain amount of validity to this, since Wikipedia is open source and anyone can edit it -- whether they know jack about what their writing is entirely up for debate at times. My argument against that is that there are enough people that watch it like hawks that most of the crap ends up being removed pretty quickly.

So far, I've only contributed one little piece to Wikipedia. It's in the entry regarding J.G. Ballard's The Drowned World. They had the Madonna song "Drowned World" being released in 1999. Everybody knows that it's 1998. Well, at least they do now that I've edited it.

And just when I think I've seen everything, Wikipedia goes and impresses me yet again. I mean, could there possibly be a better pictorial representation of kitsch than this?
Perfect, I tell ya, just perfect.

Off to see Superman Returns this afternoon -- hopefully it'll live up to its hype. I have confidence in Bryan Singer to do it right.

No comments: