Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Night owl

Really, I should just go to bed. I'm up way too late for my own good once again.

I'm feeling better -- my voice is slowly coming back. I'm tired, but I know that if I go up to bed, I won't be able to sleep. I did that last night, spent nearly 90 minutes tossing and turning, trying to get to sleep although I was tired as all hell. I listened to my iPod, trying all differents styles of music, finally falling asleep to the sounds of Casey Stratton's new B-side collection Rescue Andromeda: Whirlwind Medusa B-Sides. I remember hearing "House of Jupiter" but nothing beyond that. The next time I woke up, the music was off. I love it when music that I'm listening to on my iPod at night ends up in my dreams. That hasn't happened in a long time, and I sure wish it would happen again. Perhaps tonight. Man, I sound like my 4 year old wishing she could have the Teletubby dream again, or the dream about the balloon that followed her around telling her that it loved her.

I'll be a single parent this week, and I'm looking forward to it. It's a lot of work, and every year it's different. I look back on the first year that Heidi went to nationals and Anna actually took naps. Well, naps are a thing of the past -- have been ever since we moved to Ames. We have a few fun things planned, but mostly, we're just going to wing it and see what happens.

I was reading some old journals tonight that I kept when I was in college, and I nearly posted a retro-post, you know, same date, only a different year, but I couldn't find anything exactly from July 23rd and everything around it was mostly me bitching about this or that and it wasn't terribly interesting anyway, so I decided against it. One of the entries I read reminded me of the night Kelly came to Iowa City on a whim and we ended up at the Airliner drinking beer with me bitching about my roommate at the time, feeling very drunk as I walked home. I was about to write that those were fun times, but really, they weren't.

And anyway, I recognize the difference between blogging and journaling. Although I don't keep a journal like I used to, if I did, the blog would be for blogging and the journal for journaling and ne'er the twain shall meet.

In lighter news, I found a copy of the new Scissor Sisters song online this morning and it freaking rocks. It's called "Don't Feel Like Dancing" and it makes me very excited for their new CD due in September.

No comments: